Flu Prevention Tips
Flu Prevention Tips for Minor Hockey Teams
Here are a few tips that may help us all get through the hockey season a bit more smoothly:
- WATER BOTTLES - Teams should invest in individual water bottles for each player on the team rather than sharing of bottles.
- SHARING OF SNACKS AND BEVERAGES - Remind the players not to share pre and post game beverages and snacks.
- PROPER HYGIENE - Remind players that are too young to shower at the rink to take a moment to wash their hands before they head out of the dressing room after games and practices.
- DON’T COME TO THE RINK SICK – As much as we like to have all of our players at games and especially at practices, we need to encourage players to stay home if they are suffering from flu-like symptoms. This is what we affiliate players for.
- AFFILIATES - Be sure to affiliate enough players this season to cover off any potential shortages of players due to the flu running through your team. We recommend that you affiliate the maximum number of skaters and goalies that you are permitted. The additional affiliates can be informed that you will use them as required only so there is not an expectation of being on the ice at all of your practices, etc.
- POST-GAME HANDSHAKE – SMHA wishes to maintain the tradition of teams shaking hands in a sportsmanlike fashion after the competition of the game has concluded. Please instruct your players to keep their hockey gloves on during the handshake.
Thank you for cooperation with these recommendations. We hope it helps your season to run smoothly.
Saskatoon Minor Hockey Association